AR# 10634: 3.1i Install - On Pentium 4 PCs, the installation crashes with "java.exe Error C0000005", or "symcjit.dll error."/Only "setxenv.bat" is delivered to the Xilinx Directory.
3.1i Install - On Pentium 4 PCs, the installation crashes with "java.exe Error C0000005", or "symcjit.dll error."/Only "setxenv.bat" is delivered to the Xilinx Directory.
General Description: During the installation of 3.1i CD on a PC with a Pentium 4 processor, the following error message occurs shortly after the file extraction process begins:
" Program Error: Java.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created."
The Dr. Watson log reports "java.exe C0000005 access violation."
On Windows ME OS, the error message may list "symcjit.dll."
There have also been cases where the setup ran very quickly, and upon completion there was only one file in the Xilinx Directory --setxenv.bat.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Pentium 4 Processors were not available when Foundation 3.1i Software was released, and this solution has not been fully tested by Xilinx.
Some versions of the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) are not compatible with Pentium 4 processors. Upgrading to a newer JRE for Installation may affect other Java-related programs such as CORE Generator. For further information on CORE Generator, please see (Xilinx Solution 10717).
This error is caused by Java Runtime Environment version 1.2 not being compatible with Pentium 4 processors. Sun has created JRE version 1.3 to solve this incompatibility problem.
The following work-around will allow you to create an installation environment with the new JRE:
2. Create a temporary directory with a Java-related name so you can refer to it later, and expand the jre1_3_0-win.exe file within this directory.
3. Copy the entire CD to another directory on your hard drive.
4. In the <...>\ce\jre\1.2 subdirectory (and all subdirectories below), change all files so that they are NOT read-only.
5. Copy all files and subdirectories from the temporary Java directory you created to the <...>\ce\jre\1.2 directory. When you are finished, you will have replaced the JRE 1.2 files that came from the original CD with JRE 1.3 files.
6. Remove the CD from the CD-ROM drive, then run the setup.exe file from the directory into which you copied the CD on your hard drive.