This Answer Record describes how to migrate from v6.1 to v7.0 of the SPI-4.2 Core. It also applies to migrating from v6.1 to v7.1 as well. It describes the signal changes made to the core. While every attempt was made to keep constraints and input and output signals as consistent as possible between versions, certain modifications are required to upgrade from v6.1 to v7.0.
The following sections are included in this Answer Record:
- Core Signal Changes
- Wrapper File Changes
- NCF File Changes
- UCF File Changes
If you are implementing multiple SPI-4.2 designs (for example, two SPI-4.2 cores in a single FPGA), additional steps are needed. See the SPI-4.2 v7.0 User Guide for more information.
NOTE: The SPI-4.2 v7.0 Core supports only Virtex-4 devices. You must continue to use the v6.1 Core if you are targeting Virtex-II or Virtex-II Pro devices.
Core Signal Changes
The following signals were removed from the v7.0 Sink core:
- SnkDPAMode (Output): Removed in v7.0, not used in the new dynamic alignment configuration.
- SnkDPAModeSel (Input): Removed in v7.0, not used in the new dynamic alignment configuration.
The following signals were added to the v7.0 Source core:
-SnkIdelayRefClk (Input): Added in v7.0, a 200MHz reference clock required by the ISERDES. This signal is required in both static and dynamic alignment solutions.
Please see the user guide for more information.
The following signals are not used in the v7.0 Sink core:
- RDClk180_GP (Output): This signal is a local inversion of the RDClk0_GP signal. It is not used in the core and should be left unconnected.
The following signals are not used in the v7.0 Source core:
- SysClk180_GP (Output): This signal is a local inversion of the SysClk0_GP signal. It is not used in the core and should be left unconnected.
- SysClk180_GBSLV (Input): This signal is not used by the Source core in slave clocking mode and should be left unconnected or tied to zero.
Wrapper File Changes
The v7.0 wrapper file replaces the v6.1 wrapper file (or manually add/delete the signal changes mentioned above).
NCF File Changes
The v7.0 Core does NOT require NCF files. The v6.1 NCF files must be removed.
UCF File Changes
The UCF file must be updated by replacing all SPI-4.2 constraints in the UCF file with the SPI-4.2 constraints provided in the v7.0 release (use the v7.0 UCF files instead of the v6.1 UCF files).