AR# 2494: M1: Debugging problems while using Install Shield
M1: Debugging problems while using Install Shield
keywords: install, temp directory, M1
General Description: Since Install Shield is becoming the industry standard (used for installing M1, Foundation, Workview Office and Service Packs), here is a list of trouble-shooting advice for occurences of:
1. Install shield loaded and just went away and didn't install anything.
2. Long Install times
3. During load of install shield, got a "can't find xxx.dll" error.
One possibility is to clean the system temp directory. There may be leftover files causing some conflict with the intermediate install files.
1. Exit Windows. It's recommended exiting windows, since Windows opens temporary files in the temp directory during operation and deleting these files may have adverse affects on your system.
2. Locate your temporary directory C:> echo %TEMP% The temp directory is located (usually temp=c:\windows\temp or c:\temp)
3. cd to the directory and use C:\temp> deltree /y *.* to empty everything in the temp directory. Do not delete the directory.